Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Job Update: Cute Story

Today was rough. My art classes were exhausting mostly because it was tough to explain and justify the projects I was teaching. They were pretty lame. We also had a fire drill and signing students out was a hot mess as usual. The system changes every day which confuses everyone and results in lots of missing kids which is just a little stressful.

At the end of the day, the program leaders were hanging out at the lunch tables waiting for the last two kids to be picked up. We were all completely wiped out and were complaining about all the craziness. All of a sudden, one of the kids, a short and chubby lil' sixth grader, sighed deeply and thrust his head into his heads with all the drama of a theater kid. "I am so stressed out," he said. We all stared at him silently in amazement - and then we cracked up. "My grandma is picking me up," he explained. "She's mean."

Apparently, having no responsibilities doesn't equal carefree contentment. Life is still rough. At least I can drive myself home.

No comments: