Thursday, September 2, 2010

FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD!

Teaching tidbits:

I have a student named Claire The Vong. The is her middle name. How awesome is that?!

During a department meeting in which everyone was sharing about the fun they had this summer, the older crazy teacher told us about the open heart surgery she had and how terrible it was. A few minutes later she spoke up to say that she refuses to teach "Animal Farm" (and hasn't for several years) because she can not tolerate animal cruelty. She just loves them too much and it is far too traumatizing to read. One of my favorite teachers responded by asking, "Does that mean you won't be teaching To Kill a Mockingbird?" The whole department nearly died laughing.

What a nut though. If it weren't for tenure I could seriously challenge her for her spot. We'll see how her health holds out.

Lastly, I went to see several colleagues (I love that I can say that - though I'm not sure we are technically) perform in Our Town. I cried. It's so slow at the beginning but then it packs such a punch at the end.
"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?—every, every minute?"
"All the greatest people ever lived have been telling us that for five thousand years and yet you’d be surprised how people are always losing hold of it. There's something way down deep that’s eternal about every human being."
- Thornton Wilder, Our Town

On a side note...
If, like Sam and I, you play games that involve finding new places on the globe, if looking at a map gets your heart racing, basically, if you have the travel bug but don't have the funds or ability to go anywhere, this site will either torture or fulfill you.

No comments: