Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Great Sloth


"Stuff your eyes with wonder," he said, "live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask no guarantees, ask for no security, there never was such an animal. And if there were, it would be related to the great sloth which hangs upside down in a tree all day every day, sleeping its life away. To hell with that,' he said, "shake that tree and knock the great sloth down on his ass." - Fahrenheit 451

I have a crush on Bradbury. Isn't that a wonderful quote?! I can't believe he lives so close. I feel the way tourists must feel when they sign up for the Hollywood Homes tours. I desperately want to drive by his house until I see him on the porch and then pretend like I'm lost or something, anything, to get close enough to beg him to come share his wisdom and genius with my little 9th graders.

I'm beginning a nonfiction book about when he went to Ireland to write a screenplay for a Moby Dick film. This is the ultimate combination of some of my obsessions: Ireland, whales, and Bradbury!

P.S. - Sloths are really really hard to see in the jungle.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

He lives close?!? Great, we'll take turns staking out his place...
Also, going to Ireland to write a 'Moby Dick' screenplay sounds so random and amazing, I can't believe it's actually non-fiction.

Happy writing to you!