Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I Saw the Sign

I decided to go for a jog to clear my head. Life was turning out to be harder than expected and as I ran out the door I said a little prayer of desperation. It didn't make much sense; just a simple "save me". I made it to the next door neighbor's house.

There was The Sign.

Apparently, the neighbors are trying to sell their house even with the rough current market. Realtors, Mark and Al put up a sign for their business at the edge of my neighbor's lawn. Until today, a second sign with the same message, "MarkandAl.com" hung repetitively underneath the first. It had dangled by one tiny, but frustratingly powerful zip tie. I know because I attempted to yank it off more than once.

The sign appealed to me greatly since my boyfriend Mark's birthday is approaching way more quickly than mine ever does. An awkwardly large metal sign displaying my least favorite nickname permanently attached to his name would be the perfect present - unique, sweet and free.

Somehow, the zip tie had lost its power and today the sign lay alone on the grass. It hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a "Sign". I looked up and smiled for a moment before glancing around and
hastily carrying my prize home.

No comments: