Monday, March 9, 2009

How to: Beautify a Lead Pipe

Something about big cities. Something about constantly being surrounded by people, by
strangers, makes me lonely. So much humanity with little contact and even less genuine connection.

What's popped up is a silent communication: ironic slogans on t-shirts and bumper stickers and various forms of graffiti.

I love murals and sculpture on what would otherwise be an eyesore. The giraffes painted on the pillars of an underpass (?) in Oakland make me as happy now as they did when I was six. I would love to see giraffics spread to so. Cal.

This Etsy artist found a unique way to combine urban art with spreading anonymous love. Great and inspiring article...

Some other creative ways for babes on a budget to get and give the warm fuzzies...

- Put a bouquet of flowers together (from your front yard or the neighbors if you are naughty!) and deliver them to the hospital front desk. "These are for Room 24 (replace with your favorite number)". Extra credit for adding a homemade card!

- Try baking a new pastry and leave it in your neighbor's mailbox or on their doormat. (Must do this if you purloin their flowers.)

-Write hopeful fortunes, cheery haikus (my favorite) or favorite lyrics/quotes/poems on bits of pretty stationary and put them in library books you've enjoyed.

Have you ever done anything like this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't-- but perhaps I should commence...?