Monday, June 14, 2010

Love, love, love


A couple of my favorite people just got married (sorry for calling you on your honeymoon!) so I started thinking about what makes a marriage work. Naturally, I turned to the questionable "experts" Google had to offer. Here's some of the not terribly surprising results that came up repeatedly.

1. Figure out your finances right away.
2. Start traditions (I wouldn't have guessed this one and I'm taking note since I don't usually put a lot of stock in traditions. I say make your own!)
3. Go on dates.
4. Don't be lazy - which means taking the time to listen to each other, saying I love you like you mean it, writing love notes, and laughing at their bad jokes.
5. Say what you mean. If you want something, speak up.

And some cheesier stuff...
"Never stop holding hands"
"Find the good and praise it"
"Young love is loving someone because of what they do right; mature love is loving someone in spite of what they do wrong."
"Brag about your spouse to anyone who will listen."
"Tickle them."

Overall, it seems like commitment is the key. You have to be settled in your heart that no matter what comes you are going to make it work. If you do, you have the confidence and security that will get you through the hard times. Duh. I know. But from what I've seen, that's what works.

*I fully realize the irony of a single lady giving relationship advice!


I also love this little lady. Her marriage is flippin inspirational!

No comments: