Monday, December 13, 2010

Refrigerator


I have a weird fetish with reading books about books and poems about poems. I prefer to read Stephen King's "On Writing" than any of his beautifully written stories (even The Dark Tower Series!). I read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and loved its description of the original "Lolita" which doesn't interest me at all. And so on and so forth.

It is difficult
to get the news from poems
yet men die miserably every day
for lack
of what is found there.
–William Carlos Williams

I'm enjoying so much poetry tonight.

Found poetry based on the "Missed Connections" part of Craigslist. I liked the following one a lot. I have swing memories too.

Swingsets are full of hope/regret

We ran to the swingset
after my suggestion.
Metaphorically speaking,
I don’t know what that means.

Regardless, we talked of
childhood memories and limbs
that end up in the wrong place,
as I suppose all adults do whilst swinging.

I’m sorry that ‘ultimatums’ are what they are,
but know that there was
no greater meaning behind this one;
and that everything reminds me of you

and everything that we are not,
but could be/have been.

What are your favorite poems? poets?

5 comments:

Catherine said...

favorite poet: Edna St. Vincent Millay (esp a poem about fall colors that ends something like "Let no leaf fall."

Have you read Cristina Rossetti's "Goblin Market"-- a wonderful account of what sisters can be to each other... (She also has a wonderful poem about lost Edens/vanished childhood that ends "now my delightful land is gone") or Eliz & Robert Browning (her love poetry' his psyschological insight-- "My Last Duchess" is chilling... I really like Robert Frost too, & & &

Catherine said...

PS I wrote a comment about liking the photo & the swingsetpoem--esp. thhe last 2 linesm which remind me of the end of Whittier's (?) "Maud Mullen-- or somehing close): "for the saddest words uttered by tongue or pen, are those four(?) little words "[oh!] what might have been! Seems that comment got lost, so I'm repeating it, &adding that I checked out a coule of the blogs on your list at the end of your blog, & esp. enjoyed the "Baby Got Books" site, & esp the Nov. interview with the author of Sweet Farts about boys & reading... Thanks!

Uncle Tom said...

She

She sure ain’t blonde

But she hopes to be

Brunette before she is old and gray.

She loves the forest for the trees.

She is cynical bout birds and bees

She is cynical bout everything.

Just for laughs

She studies graphs,

The Incas, China, and us all.

She knows their patterns and why we fall.

Music to her is but a call

That lends release and drops the ball.

To write and play

Are simple things, they are her way.

Me and you, we just don’t see,

The way she does; the keys and strings.

To life she brings the sweetest song,

A horn, a flute, a drum, a gong,

Each play a part in life and rift.

It’s what she loves, tis but a gift.

The CIA, they want her now,

But will they see the girl I know?

She to them, a brain with stats,

It seems there’s more to her than that.



One I wrote that I really really like. I hope that is not being biased.

Susie Q said...

please tell me you have read: 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.' It is a most excellent book about books!

Rachel said...

I'm just happy that Stephen King, William Carlos Williams and found poetry were all mentioned in one post.